Pages

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Reading Aloud

What is reassuring about reading aloud?  What does reading aloud accomplish for us that reading silently to ourselves does not?

For myself, when I read aloud, I always notice things I missed when I read silently.  It could be an error in the sentence construction which causes me to stumble over a word, or an emphasis placed in a certain area of the sentence.  Sometimes I can sense a depth of emotion present in the way I say the words as I am reading them.

I have found that reading my own work aloud allows me to revise and edit my work to a greater extent and thereby increase the chance that readers will correctly interpret what I am endeavoring to convey.  Is it wise to say that I am my own best critic?  No, but it certainly feels that way when I read my work out loud.

No comments:

Post a Comment